Saturday, June 11, 2011

Zucchini Soup and Pico de Gallo

I went to Wegmans the other day and they were giving out samples of Zucchini Soup.   If they weren't giving out samples, I don't think I would have been tempted to make it. But after I tasted it I couldn't believe how good it was.  I bought all the ingredients and went home and made it for dinner.  Since I bought a bunch of cilantro for the soup, the next day I made Pico de Gallo, and that story I already told about the jalapeno and my contacts.



BEFORE

AFTER 
 

Wegmans Zucchini Soup
Click here for the original

Makes: 8 cups
Active Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 45 mins

  • 1 Tbsp Wegmans Pure Olive Oil
  • 1 pkg (8 oz) Food You Feel Good About Cleaned & Cut Chopped Onions
  • 1 Tbsp chopped Food You Feel Good About Peeled Garlic
  • 4 small (2 lbs) zucchini, 1/2-inch dice (about 6 cups), divided
  • 1 carton (32 oz) Food You Feel Good About Chicken Culinary Stock
  • 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced (about 1 cup), divided
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro, stemmed, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

You'll Need: Handheld blender
Directions

1. Heat olive oil in stockpot on MEDIUM-LOW. Add onion and garlic; reduce heat to LOW. Cook, stirring often, about 10 min, until onion is soft and translucent, but not browned.

2. Add about 4 cups zucchini to pot. Cook 5 min. Add stock; bring to a simmer on HIGH.

3. Add half the green onions. Reduce heat to MEDIUM; simmer 2 min. Remove from heat; add cilantro.

4. Puree soup carefully with handheld blender until smooth. Return to MEDIUM heat. Add remaining 2 cups zucchini. Simmer 8-10 min until zucchini is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper; ladle into warm bowls. Garnish with remaining green onions.


Option(s):
Garnish with Vermont Creamery Goat Cheese and thinly sliced radishes.


Nutrition Info: Each serving (1 Cup) contains 60 calories, 7 g carbohydrate, (2 g fiber), 3 g protein, 2 g fat, (0 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, and 230 mg sodium.
Zucchini Soup
Ingredients

Pico de Gallo
I didn't really know what the difference was between Pico de Gallo and Salsa until I looked it up today. All I knew was that I wanted to make Pico de Gallo like we had in Mexico but maybe not quite as hot so my lips and mouth wouldn't burn for an hour afterwards. Well, the difference is that salsa is cooked and pico de gallo is fresh.
Here is my recipe for the pico de gallo. You can really add whatever you like and make it to the degree of hotness that is good for you. When we had it at Kris's she had corn in it which was really good but I wanted to keep this at a Zero Points Plus level. If I wanted to make it more hearty I would add the corn and some beans too, either black, white or kidney. Then it would be a good vegetarian meal. The amounts are up to you but put in a lot of everything because it isn't all about the tomatoes. The following recipe list what I used.  I almost forgot to mention that I wasn't sure what type of hot pepper I would like so I bought a few different ones to try.  There was one that was just called hot pepper and that burned as soon as you put it near your lip.  But when we used the Jalapeno in the recipe it didn't add much hotness so we took out some of the salsa and put it in a separate dish with 2 large pieces of the hot pepper and let it soak overnigt.  Then I added the hot salsa back into the rest but not the pieces of pepper.

Pico de Gallo
  • 6 Tomatoes
  • 1/2 Lg Onion
  • 1 Red Pepper
  • 1 Jalapeno, seeds removed
  • 2 Green Onions
  • Fresh Cilantro
  • Fresh lime juice
  • Salt to taste
Dice the tomatoes, onions, red pepper, green onions, and jalapeno into a bowl.  Chop up fresh cilantro but leave off the long stems  and add that too.  Mix in the cilantro then squeeze in lime juice add salt and mix again.

I got Coco Chips at BJs, 23 for 3 Points Plus and they taste great with the pico de gallo.

No comments:

Post a Comment