Thursday, June 9, 2011

New Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

I updated my strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe today but haven't tested it yet to see how it came out.  I'm having bridge club here tomorrow night so I made two.  One for them and one for Larry.  

In looking over Emeril's recipes, and other recipes such as Quaker Oatmeal cookies, it seems like everyone has been trying to take some of the fat and sugar out of their recipes.  I noticed that corn starch has less Points Plus than flour so I substituted that in my recipe and also decreased some of the brown sugar in the topping.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (makes 2)


Preheat oven to 375°F
Spray Pam on bottom of 2 baking dishes


Filling
2 lbs rhubarb, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
2 lbs strawberries, halved or quartered if large
1 cup splenda
4 tbls cornstarch
4 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice (I used limes because I had them)
2 tsp cinnamon
 
Place rhubarb and strawberries in a large bowl. Sprinkle with lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch toss lightly to mix.

Pour 1/2 of filling into deep pie plate or other deep baking dish.


Cover with crumbled topping.

Topping
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 can Almond paste (4 oz)
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar 
pinch salt


Cut up almond paste into small pieces and put in food processor together with oats, flour, sugar, butter pieces and salt. Pulse until just crumbly. DO NOT OVER PULSE! 

Sprinkle over fruit and bake in oven for 40-45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment