This was on Rachael Ray this morning
- 1 (1 ¾ pound/ 800- grams) chicken, cut into 12 pieces in a large mixing bowl
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 8 to 10 green chiles, stemmed and cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, whisked
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 7 to 8 black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
PreparationPut chicken in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of the salt, and stir well. Cover bowl with plastic and put into refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
Place a medium nonstick saucepan over medium and add the oil. When the small bubbles appear at the bottom of the pan, add the cumin. When the cumin begins to change color, add the chilies and turmeric, and sauté for 10 seconds.
Add the chicken and sauté for 8-9 minutes until well browned. Add the yogurt, cilantro, peppercorns and remaining 1 teaspoon of the salt. Stir well and add the ½ cup water. Cover, lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is cook through.
Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with the mint and serve hot.