Sunday, November 29, 2009

Beer Can Chicken

I wanted to try beer can chicken in the oven since it wasn't the greatest day for cooking outdoors. We have a holder for the chicken that fits, sort of, over the can. When I thought the chicken was done, I wanted to check the temperature of the chicken to make sure it really was done. When I tried to put the thermometer in the chicken it toppled the beer over into the juice in the pan. What a great flavor it made for gravy. I'm going to do this everytime I make it indoors. I won't knock it over, but I will add the beer to all the drippings.



Recipe for Beer Can Chicken
Rinse and dry inside and out of whole chicken.
Apply a seasoning rub, I used a blackened seasoning that I had, inside and out, about 6 Tbls. Try to get under the skin.
Take a beer can, pour out ½ cup of it but don't throw away - drink it, you deserve it.
Using a can opener poke a couple of more holes into and put a Tbls of seasoning into it. Sit the chicken completely onto the can carefully so that the chicken rests on it legs.

Cook the chicken about 1-1/2 hours at 350ºF. To ensure proper doneness, make sure the temperature of the thigh is 170ºF, as measured with a reliable meat thermometer.

When done, remove the beer can and use the contents to make a gravy. If made on the grill, all the juices just drain away.

Here's a rub recipe for the chicken:
Beer Can Chicken Rub (1/4 Cup of Rub)

2 TBSP. Paprika
1 ½ tsp. Dark Brown Sugar
1 ½ tsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
½ tsp. Celery Salt
½ tsp Ground Pepper
½ tsp Garlic Powder
½ tsp Onion Powder
½ tsp Dry Mustard

Combine all ingredients in a jar. You may store the rub in an airtight container for up to six months. Make sure to shake the rub thoroughly before using.
-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment